Supporting STEM Learning Through Immersive Experience
Oct. 24, 2023 - UScellular is focused on addressing gaps in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education. By connecting tomorrow’s innovators with the resources they need today, we’re helping to shape their future opportunities. Since 2022, UScellular has partnered with the nonprofit, Girls Who Code, to help close the STEM gender gap by providing equal opportunities for girls, women and nonbinary students in STEM fields.
Throughout the two-week session, 55 young women joined UScellular associates to:
- Learn the steps to secure an internship from UScellular’s interns.
- Hear about her non-traditional career path from a UScellular senior engineer.
- Communicate their story to promote their final video games from UScellular’s media relations and social media teams.
- Receive tips and guidance from UScellular associates early in their career journeys, such as understanding what they don’t like is just as important as what they do like.
UScellular interns from across the company also joined the program to share their insights on what they learned and offered some thoughts on what it’s like to work for a large company. The students shared that the interns’ “advice resonated more with me” and “it was cool to hear from a college student’s perspective since college is so close by.”
Overall, students were positively impacted through their participation in one of the 2023 Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program experiences. Participants in the 2023 Summer Immersion Program shared:
- 73% of said they are more interested in pursuing a tech career.
- 85% became more aware of computer science career pathways.
- 89% shared that they want to intern or work for their partner company.