Strike a Pose for National Selfie Day on June 21
Helpful tips and tricks from UScellular to get the perfect selfie
CHICAGO (June 21, 2022) – Grab a smartphone and find the best lighting because June 21 is National Selfie Day. To help celebrate, UScellular is offering helpful tips to capture shareable selfies.
Self-portraits have come a long way since the first credited “selfie” in 1839 that took 10-15 minutes to capture. Today, millennials will reportedly take more than 25,000 selfies in their lifetime, which estimates to about 38 hours each year, according to FinanceBuzz. Thanks to technological advancements, people are equipped with high-quality cameras that are within arm’s reach at any time.
“We love to see the different ways people use their smartphones, and selfies have become a significant cultural phenomenon, capturing big and small moments in life,” said NAME, director of sales and operations for UScellular in STATE. “As wireless devices get more advanced, people have taken their photography skills to the next level, capturing even more memories.”
UScellular shares the following best practices to optimize your selfie skills:
· Natural light reigns supreme — natural light is the best and most-flattering light for photos, according to Backlight. While all natural light is good, the best time of day to take a photo is called “golden hour” – the hour right after the sun rises and right before it sets. If natural lighting is not available, a selfie ring light is a good accessory to consider.
· Use filters and editing sparingly — while filters can be a lot of fun, use them when they enhance an image and don’t detract from the content. Same goes with editing. While a few tricks can take your selfie to the next level, it’s not necessary to over-edit. Top photo editing apps include Adobe Photoshop Express Photo Editor, Afterlight and InShot.
· Mix it up — get creative with your content by showing off a new manicure or jewelry, posing with a friend or a pet, or featuring a stellar sunset in the background. This will help keep your feed fresh while still showcasing your best selfies.
· Keep it professional — selfies can be used for more than just Instagram. If you’re strapped for a professional headshot or new LinkedIn profile picture, the right selfie could be the answer. According to Allure, LinkedIn’s career expert Nicole Williams says the best way to snap a professional selfie is to look comfortable and confident. Making sure your shoulders are down will present a confident posture and photos in color are more eye-catching than black-and-white.
· Upgrade your device — phone manufacturers recognize the importance of a good front-facing camera as they improve each smartphone model. The latest smart devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S22 Series or Apple iPhone 13 include advanced cameras that elevate selfies.
· Practice makes perfect — everyone is unique, so figuring out what works best for you will take some practice. Test out different lighting and try taking selfies from different angles to find what pose you are most comfortable striking.
UScellular is the fourth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier provides a strong, reliable network supported by the latest technology and offers a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of government operations. To learn more about UScellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, visit newsroom.uscellular.com. Connect with UScellular on social media at facebook.com/uscellular, twitter.com/uscellular, instagram.com/uscellular, YouTube.com/uscellularcorp and linkedin.com/company/uscellular.