Prevent Water-Damaged Devices from Dampening Your Summer Fun
UScellular Provides Tips to Save Wet Cellphones
CHICAGO (June 1, 2023) — Summer often involves swimming pools and lakes, but don’t let a wet cellphone sink your fun. It’s common for people to accidentally drop their phone in the pool, while at the beach, or even in the toilet. A UScellular survey found that 77% of people use their phones while in the bathroom and 23% of people have dropped their phone in the toilet.
Before you head to the beach, pool, or lake this summer, UScellular offers some tips on how to rescue a wet cellphone:
- Get a water-resistant device. Consider getting a water-resistant phone so you can visit the pool or beach without fear. The iPhone 14 Pro Max and Samsung Galaxy S23 offer water-resistant technology that allow them to be briefly submerged in water and still function correctly.
- Act fast. If your cellphone does get wet, retrieve it from the water as quickly as possible. Turn it off right away, take off any cases or covers and remove all memory cards, headsets and other accessories. Take out the SIM card and dry it off with a towel or cloth. The SIM card may retain important data, even if the phone itself can’t be saved.
- Wipe it down. Carefully wipe a wet phone with a clean, soft towel, rag or cloth. Try to avoid getting water into the phone’s cracks, ports or other openings.
- Wait it out. Place your device in a dry area with good circulation and wait at least five hours. You could also use a compressed aerosol air duster to blow out the water but avoid using heat like from a hair dryer or microwave and don’t use household cleaning products. Additionally, avoid charging the phone until you’re sure it’s dry.
- Protect your device. UScellular offers Device Protection+ that not only helps you replace a water-damaged phone, but also comes with tools to back up photos and fast device replacement- as soon as the same day.
UScellular is the fourth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to help customers stay connected to the things that matter most. The Chicago-based carrier provides a strong, reliable network supported by the latest technology and offers a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of government operations. Through its After School Access Project, the company has pledged to provide hotspots and service to help up to 50,000 youth connect to reliable internet. Additionally, UScellular has price protected all of its plans, promising not to increase prices through at least the end of 2024. To learn more about UScellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, visit newsroom.uscellular.com.