Mobile App and Digital Wallet Payments Are Here to Stay
UScellular Offers Tips for Shopping Safely with a Smartphone
As consumers are using less cash and more digital payment options, businesses have increasingly embraced technologies that favor the post-COVID world: the contactless world. According to Mordor Intelligence, the mobile payments market is expected to grow at a rate of 29.5% over the forecast period 2022 - 2027. However, according to a Pew Research Center survey, while users praise cashless options for making transactions easier, they also express concerns about security and privacy.
Mobile payments allow users to complete transactions successfully from a mobile device instead of using credit cards or cash. For the early adopters and those who are newer to the process, UScellular offers the following advice to help ensure safety and security as people opt for cashless shopping with their smartphones:
• Apps provide protection. Using services such as Apple Pay or Google Pay can provide an extra layer of protection when paying with a mobile device. Instead of providing credit card numbers to the merchant, these services provide virtual account names for payments. Many mobile payment apps like Venmo, and PayPal allow money to be sent quickly, easily and securely.
• Boost security. Many shopping and payment apps offer the option to activate additional security features, like two-factor authentication, as additional protections.
• Rely on browser extensions. Since some websites use trackers or cookies to monitor viewers’ habits, it can feel intimidating to think about making online financial transactions. To keep data private, combine multiple extensions and blockers, such as an ad blocker, tracker blocker, virtual private network (VPN) like ExpressVPN or script blocking extension like DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser. This multilayered approach will help maximize security and privacy, keeping sensitive data secure while shopping with a mobile device.
• Password-protect phones. Make sure a smartphone or device is password protected. If a phone is lost or stolen and isn’t properly password protected, anyone can use stored credit card or mobile payment apps to go on a spending spree. This is a simple, but effective, way to keep financial information safe.
• Confirm secure connection. When shopping, banking, or investing online, always check for the secure hypertext transfer protocol secure (HTTPS) connection in the browser. This helps guarantee that any data shared from the device is secure.
UScellular is the fourth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to help customers stay connected to the things that matter most. The Chicago-based carrier provides a strong, reliable network supported by the latest technology and offers a wide range of communication services that enhance consumers’ lives, increase the competitiveness of local businesses and improve the efficiency of government operations. Through its After School Access Project, the company has pledged to provide hotspots and service to help up to 50,000 youth connect to reliable internet. Additionally, UScellular has price protected all of its plans, promising not to increase prices through at least the end of 2023. To learn more about UScellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, visit newsroom.uscellular.com.